Traverse City Eye Doctors
Northern Vision Eye Care, located in Traverse City, offers the most advanced technologies to protect your eyes and your sight. With high tech diagnostic tools, we are able to detect and monitor the earliest signs of eye problems. Our patients can know for certain they are benefiting from the advancements in our industry.
- Optomap – We are one of only a few eye care centers in Traverse City and all of northern Michigan to offer the Optomap Retinal Exam. This laser scanning technology captures a detailed 200-degree picture of the retina and can be performed without dilation of the pupils. The super wide field retinal images are useful for detailed retinal evaluations of flashes and floaters which may signify a retinal detachment, diabetic retinal evaluations and monitoring abnormalities such as choroidal nevi which have the potential to transform into melanomas. Once completed and evaluated, the images are stored for future comparison.
- OCT – We are also the home to a revolutionary technology for the detection and monitoring of glaucoma and macular degeneration. The OCT or ocular coherance tomographer, uses laser scanning technology to measure the thickness of the retina. This allows for much earlier detection and monitoring of eye diseases such as macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, and macular edema.
- Pentacam – The Pentacam is a device used to measure the shape and thickness of the cornea. These measurements are very important in determining eligibility for LASIK and monitoring corneal diseases. The Pentacam can also detect corneal irregularities such as keratoconus, ectasia, and irregular astigmatism.
- IOL Master – The IOL Master is a sophisticated touch-free device which takes very precise measurements of the eye for upcoming cataract surgery. The IOL Master measures with precision the length of the eye and the curvature of the cornea which is used to calculate the power for the intraocular lenses such as the Crystalens, ReSTOR, AcrySof IQ Aspheric, AcrySof IQ Toric, ReZoom and Technis.
- Auto Refractor – The auto refractor precisely measures the glasses power your eyes require. This information is then transferred to the phoroptor in the exam room and a final refraction is determined with your feedback.
- Wavescan – The Wavescan measures the refractive error of the eye for Custom LASIK, but unlike the auto refractor it uses Shack-Hartmann technology which is not only much more precise but measures for irregularities in the visual pathway that can then be treated during the Custom LASIK procedure.
- Humphrey Visual Field – The Humphrey visual field test precisely measures your peripheral or side vision which can become impaired and may worsen in glaucoma, retinal detachments, stroke, and diabetic retinopathy.
- VISX Star S4 Excimer Laser – We own northern Michigan’s only stationary excimer laser, which means convenient patient scheduling and allows precise calibration. This is an important distinction when deciding where you have LASIK. Our competitors use what is called a roll-on, roll-off rented laser that travels continuously between offices on the roads and highways of Michigan and the surrounding states.
Eye Doctors in Traverse City, Michigan
What does all this mean for you? Our doctors use the most advanced technologies available which allow Northern Vision Eye Care to provide patients like you with the best eye care possible.